Monday, August 10, 2015

Reflections of Summer 2015


Count Down to School Year 2016 

1 Day


The best day of summer break for me is always the last day of school. The expectation of enjoying summer mornings, slow sipping, piping hot coffee, freedom to go and come and do and not to do . . . Ahhh . . .

Now I'm sitting here reflecting on how quickly it's gone, but how grateful I am, nonetheless.


Summer Reading

I love a good story.  I don't follow any reading trends or anything similar.  I just go to my local book store, find the sale rack, and look for covers that call my name. My favorite summer pick this year was "The American Heiress" by Daisy Goodwin.  Loved it! I learned so much about the British culture in the 1800's.  I just received the sequel, "My Last Duchess"


It will be my next weekend read after I finish,
"A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" by Betty Smith.
This one is a biography written in fiction fashion.

Part of this story describes the public school system in the early 1900's through the eyes of a student.  I guess the  "good ole days" may not have been that good for everyone. Perhaps every generation has had its struggles and challenges. 


Our goal should be to do better with each new opportunity.


Take a peek at my "Once Upon A Time" Pinterest board for more of my favorite stories.


Colombia, South America Trip
Unforgettable





A Different Kind Of Summer

We see the seasons of life play out through our parents and family, but it's immensely surreal when one's own seasons change. This was our first official empty-nested summer, just my hubby and me. Simple. Quiet. Nostalgic.

To all the young teachers, juggling kids, career, marriage, friendships, the house, family and everything else, know this, it's a season, and seasons change. The best tip I can give is to learn to say 'no' to things that do not line up with your priorities. It's very easy to exert all of our energy and effort at school and find ourselves a little bankrupt when we get home. Establish your own limits and stop signs. We have the potential and skills to do so many things, but at the end of the day, we're only human. The body and mind need to 
repose and recharge.

 There will come a time, real soon I might add, that you will be able to say 'yes' to everything if you want to. Your kids will not stay small forever. They will become more and more independent. 
 And, as you miss their little-ness, you'll have your kids at school to fill that space.


An Office for Me

I'm joining 4th Grade Frolics with my home Made It.  This summer we were able to re-arrange some things around the house and make over a little room we have. For the first time ever, I have my very own home office. (Big, big, smile)


Before


Now





 I'm looking forward to lots of hours of creating, learning, and growing here. So grateful.


"Rest-cation"

And, lastly, but certainly not least, my husband surprised me by taking me to an end of the summer "rest-cation".

Naples/Marco Island, Florida
 Breathtakingly Beautiful





I think this might become a new tradition.


Summer Break of 2015 has officially ended.
Now it's time to put on our batteries and get rolling.
I wish you all a fabulous school year.
'Til next time.  God Bless :)


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. I love your office! What a great place to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love it, too! Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Damarise. Don't think I've ever been to your blog before. Love the look. We have a few things in common. This was my last summer of "kids" home. My daughter just graduated and is moving to Seattle (from Michigan) and our youngest will need to spend her last school summer at school next year. I have been incredibly sad contemplating what is ahead. Having them away at school was a little sad, but this next phase seems much bigger. I hope next summer I can say, "Simple. Quiet. Nostalgic" like you. But on a cheerier note, I am going to redo a bedroom, too, for a home work space. That will be the project to keep me busy when I'm feeling blue, I guess. And I sure wish Jonathan and I could do yearly rest-cations away... maybe I'll suggest that :) Thanks for post. Kathleen
    Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! We certainly do have a lot in common. :) I'll be thinking of you. Time really does help make things easier to accept. And, yes, having projects to work on certainly does help, as well. Enjoy designing and putting your room together. It is a lot of fun. I totally recommend an end of the summer trip. This is the first year I've ever done it and it certainly was worth it. GB and have a fabulous new school year. :)

      Delete
  3. Your office is GORGEOUS!!! I'm so jealous you got to go to Naples. That is my hometown. I haven't been there in about 3 years! I miss the beauty, but I don't miss the traffic.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Oh my, Naples has to be one of the most beautiful places I've been to. I can't wait to go back! Thank you for the visit and I wish you a very happy school year :)

      Delete
  4. You have been busy! I just picked up American Heiress at the library today. I hope I like it as much as you did!

    My Bright Blue House

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope you like it, too. Let me know what you think.

      Delete

Thanks again for the visit. :)