Sunday, October 6, 2013

First Nine Weeks Reflection


It's almost mind blowing to think 9-week exams begin on Wednesday.  This year continues to speed on.  Here are some reflections of my year so far...

Celebrations:
1) Many students reached their reading goal for the first nine weeks.  Also, some took me at my word and earned bonus reading points.  I love when my students earn extra points.

2) Many students are receiving passing scores on the Reading Counts quizzes.  When they get so excited and proud of their accomplishment, it makes my day.

3) Returning students are keeping up with their portfolios and new students are catching on.  Many of my students have never had to keep a learning notebook.  Some students find this to be a great challenge, but others have completely embraced the idea.  This week we'll be taking a class period to organize and update them before the 9 week exams.  

4) I'm so pleased to see the growth of some of my returning students.  They arrived a year or two ago at "hello" and now their reading lexiles are showing great progress, their writing includes many new words we've learned over the years, and their grades have improved from other classes. One major trait we can all agree is necessary in the teaching of English to second language learners is patience.  Progress is never over night, but when it begins to reveal itself it is sweet!  

5)  New students are getting the gist of our classroom culture and procedures.  Things have settled and we are in the process of learning.  Returning students have stepped up to the plate to become student leaders. When we have a brand new student come, they are able and willing to show them the ropes.  I love when my students take positive leadership!  

6)  The first nine weeks has not been easy, it never is.  However, we continue to move forward knowing that learning is a process, teaching is an adventure, and tomorrow we'll do better.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks again for the visit. :)