Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Worksheet Wednesday with The Teaching Tribune


Happy Wednesday


I hope everyone is enjoying their summer break.
My favorite part of the day is the morning. Love, love, love!

Before I head out to enjoy a Wednesday in the sun,
I'm joining up with The Teaching Tribune again for
Worksheet Wednesday.


The worksheet I'm posting is more for upper elementary
or middle school.




I teach Read 180 to 6th, 7th and 8th grade ELL's.  Part of our 90 minute rotational model includes a 15 to 20 minute Independent Reading time.  This rotation can be the one that requires more management because students are left on their own to read a book of their choosing.  Students that enjoy reading get right to it, students that are challenged in this area find lots of things to do during this time that does not include reading.  Some excuses include organizing backpacks, looking for the right book, sharpening pencils, or "helping" someone.  To avoid these distractions, I dedicate Mondays for choosing a book to read for the week.  Students may change the book on Tuesday if they did not choose one they liked, but after Tuesday they must keep the book they chose.  During the reading rotation, I'm working with a small group.  However, I take a moment to look around and give compliments to students in other rotations.  I also repeat a compliment in the middle of the rotation.

I have several versions of a Reading Reflection Journal and I interchange them every few weeks.  Middle school students get bored very easily.  When I notice their responses have a little less effort than before, I change up the reflection sheet.  They let me know which sheets they enjoy more than others.

Our students keep a 3-ring binder portfolio in class.  The portfolio is divided into sections.  One of the sections is Reading.  Each day, after our 90 minute rotation, students file their reflection journals in the reading section of their portfolio.  The next day they pick it back up, they know exactly where it is.  At the end of the week, students turn in their journals.  Through their journals I can see who is reading for real and who's just shooting the breeze.


Here's a version of our Reading Reflection Journal.


To download a copy click here.

Enjoy your day.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks again for the visit. :)