Saturday, March 21, 2015

Spring Break & A Few Wows



Spring Break has been medicine to my soul, my body and my husband. (Smile!)  Home cooked meals, book reading, bicycle riding, afternoon naps, hair cuts, nail polishing, late night re-run viewing, journaling, house-work catch-up, lunch with good friends, and preparing for my daughter's visit.  I could not have asked for anything more!  





Update on our "28 Days of Inspiration Journal". Frankly, it wasn't as easy or as "inspiring" as I wanted it to be.  The project came with many firsts for my kids:  first time hearing inspirational words in English, first time writing in different genres, first time connecting the meaning of a word in the context of inspiration.  Number one lesson I learn every year, don't assume your kids know things that seem obvious.  When learning a second language, nothing is obvious, even if the student has a grasp of conversational English. I only had 10 minutes, tops, to front-load in a 50 minute period.  If you've worked with ELL's you know that 10 minutes is clearly not enough time.  Journaling could take an entire class period.   Needless to say, for some of my kids, this "inspiring" journal was more frustrating than encouraging.  However, I did have some diamonds in the rough!  At the end of the day, I don't regret the struggle my students had.  It's all part of the growing process.  

Next year I think I will assign this journal series again, however, it will be more than just prompts for journaling, I might create an entire unit on the concept.  This might be one of my summer projects.  





Multicultural Day at our school was a huge success!  

We had Mariachi's~

An African Drum Band~

A Fashion Show~

Sign Language Song


And, lots of fun.


The Living Museum

An eigth grade Language Arts teacher presented a Living Museum in honor of African American Month.  She and her students did a phenomenal job.  Students presented their research on an African American historical figure in first person.  Her kids were prepared, mature and very knowledgeable about their subject.  There was a line waiting down the hall waiting to get in.  What an amazing sight to see kids teaching kids.  
A standing ovation and shout out to Aurelia Moore.  
Awesome Job!  




We have 10 more weeks of school.  
We can do this!

Happy Spring!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Damarise, I love your blog! I'm currently hosting a giveaway and was hoping you would be so kind to donate a product. It's a fundraiser for Autism that will take place from April 1 -30. Please hop on over to my blog for more info.
    Thanks!!
    -Melanie
    Teacher’s Lounge

    ReplyDelete

Thanks again for the visit. :)