Friday, May 23, 2014

The Teacher's Purpose

I had an unforgettable surprise today.
An unexpected visitor popped into my 3rd period class,
a former ELL student.

He came to us when he was in 6th grade.  He barely spoke English. Scared, frightened and insecure about what this country would bring, he started his new journey.  

I remember his first year in our class, for most ELL's it's tough.  The struggle is not only with the new language, but with a completely different culture and set of social rules.  To make matters worse, it's middle school.  

By the second year he was showing great progress. 
By the third year, he was mainstreamed into regular classes.



We encouraged him to apply to the International Baccelaureate magnet.  He applied.  He was accepted.  That was four years ago.  

Today he stopped by to share with me that he graduated with his I.B. diploma and to say, "Thank You".  
Tears rolled down my face, and they haven't stopped.  
I asked him to say something to my class.
What he said blew my mind.

He told my students what an impact our class had on him.  
How we prepared him well to succeed.  He told them not to under appreciate the gift of ESOL.  

He's now on his way to become an engineer. 

This is why I teach.  ESOL.

Realistically, I know that all of my students will not become engineers, but each one of my students will be impacted forever by the year/s they spend in my classroom.  May I never get so used to being a teacher, that I minimize the awesome and frightening responsiblity. May I never get so distracted that I would be forced to give less than I know I can.  And, may I never get so discouraged by ancillary obligations, that I misjudge my purpose.  

We plant the seeds, others water, and together, hopefully, we help create great memories, equip our students with life tools, and cultivate an amazing future for our students and families.

= Credits =

Smile


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks again for the visit. :)