Sunday, April 26, 2015

My Teaching Gratitudes


Hi Everyone!

~Happy Sunday~

We are breaking record heat here in Florida for April, 95 degrees! All I can say is, thank the Lord for Frederick Jones.
It's been a very interesting week.
Peaks and Valleys.
Highs and Lows.
Ups and Downs.

At the end of the day,  both are necessary in this journey, for without one, we couldn't appreciate the other.

I'm beginning a new set of posts called
Thank you for taking a few moments 
to share these reflections with me.

My Early Mother's Day Gift




Husband:  "Take off Friday."
Me:  "I can't, we're testing, you know that."
Husband:  "Then, make sure you come home early."
Me:  "I can't, work is mounting, I have lots to do."
Husband:  "Just get home as soon as possible."

Little did I know, he had flown my son home as an early Mother's Day gift.

Last summer I joined the ranks of empty nesters.
For me it was not as easy as others said it might be.

We raise them, train them, love them, 
and let them go.

I was already wondering what this Mother's Day would be like,
my first with kids living in another state.

But, thank the Lord for my husband,
he certainly knows how to give great gifts.



When the valleys inevitably come,
it's daunting to see the surrounding peaks,
so far away from our grasp.

And, if we're not prepared, sometimes our default response
is not always in our best interest.

So, rather than reflect on regrets, mistakes or just plain unavoidable circumstances, I've decided to think on what matters.  My heart is full for all that I've been blessed with.
I may not have all that I want, but I certainly do have more than I need.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to impact lives that will lead and invent and create and help save lives in the future.  In middle school, kids are a little awkward, and they don't always understand the importance of what they are learning and experiencing.  However, they do grow up to be lovely, amazing and productive people.  To know I had a little role in that endeavor is overwhelming.

I'm thankful I get to work with fabulous people.  Many of my co-workers are my friends.  We have walked this journey together, celebrating and struggling, hand in hand.  We inspire each other to learn more, to care more, to create more.  I'm blessed to be part of a stellar fellowship of educators.  
I am not alone.

I'm thankful to have been chosen to be an ESOL teacher.  I'm the first face many of our kids see when they walk into their first American school.  I work hard to create a classroom that is safe, accepting, and hopeful.  A place where kids can dream and believe they can be successful even if the road promises difficulty ahead . . . I can't imagine the fear families might have as they bring their children to a new school, in a new country, with a new language and an unknown culture.  It's my privilege to faciltiate a smooth and pleasant transition.

I'm committed to keep my eyes on what matters.  I cannot control all circumstances, but I can control how I respond to them.  So, today, as I reflect on the many blessings I've been given as an educator, I can say, it is well with my soul.  
No regrets.  


Wishing you a fabulous week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks again for the visit. :)