Monday, June 8, 2015

Quicker Than A Blink



This year flew by quicker than a blink.
It's already June.  
School's out.
I finally have a moment to 
sit, 
sip my morning coffee slowly, 
write,
read,
and just take in the morning glow.

A few of my favorite summer verbs. . .



Last year's school ending I was not done.
The following Monday after school had ended for teachers, 
I was back at school finishing my school's end of the year checklist. I promised myself that would not happen again this year. I still feel as if I could have used another day or two, but I was able to get much more done than I did 
last year at this time.

 The impatience of ending quickly can cause significant stress the following August. The first day of school is imminently approaching and last year's clutter is still lingering.  The small task of just putting things away where they belong at the end of the year pays off immeasurably the following year.  

This year's motto was "PURGE".  I've been at the same school, in the same classroom for a long time.  I've accumulated lots of stuff, not to mention all my elementary resources I've stored away, just in case I ever want to go back.  Well, even if some day I do go back, I'm not going to use materials from that long ago anyway. Hello? So, this year I chose to "let it go"!  If it wasn't used in the past 3 years, it went to paper heaven.  Many of my resources are now stored in my computer folders, I don't have a need to keep so much paper.  I was so happy to look over my classroom last Friday and know that it was clean and 95% organized.  (Hmmm, hmmm)


Many people don't change their classroom decor from year to year, and for the most part mine remains the same, except for colors.  I like to switch colors each year.  I see the same students from year to year.  I like them to feel as if they're in a new year, a new time, a new season.  Switching colors can do that for us.  My colors for 2016 will be black, red, white and yellow.  I ordered my B.B. borders and I hope to create some new signs over the summer.  I love decorating my classroom, I just don't always have enough time in the beginning of the year.  So, I left some of my old stuff hanging on the walls just in case I'm not able to change it up right away.  


END OF YEAR FUN

Our school has strict rules about end of year activities.  The list is limited. It's all in the efforts to keep kids and staff safe, also to avoid potential problems. Within the limitations, we were able to find some fun activities.


FLASHLIGHT FRIDAY


Students were encouraged to bring flashlights to school.  During our Just Read time, we turned on our flashlights and read in the dark. I had a pretty strong flashlight and it lit up the way for students who forgot their lights.  Next year this activity will definitely be repeated.  So much fun . . .


READ IN THE SUN DAY


On this day students brought a bottle of water, a towel to sit on, sunglasses, and a book, of course.
We all sat outside under the palms and read during our Just Read time.  The day was clear, sunny and pleasant.
This one is another repeat, for sure.


BOOKS I READ AWARD BOOK



Click here to download a copy.

During the year students receive awards for each Reading Counts Quiz they pass with a 70% or higher.  Students store their awards in a pocket chart.  Awards are color coded by 9 week periods.  At the end of the year, I bind them all in an Award Book.  I love to prepare them and students love to receive them.


DIGITAL BOOK TALK or A YEAR IN REVIEW INTERVIEW


Our last activity of the year was video recording my ELL's speaking. Students had a choice to either speak about their favorite book or reflect on the past year. We perpared a TV set.  (So sorry, I forgot to take pictures.) I also had speaking points displayed on the overhead screen so the kids would know what to say.

We began first period and ran into problems.
Some of my kids were scared of the camera and/or of speaking English in front of the class. With lots of pep talk, I was able to convince many of them to go ahead and speak anyway.

Second period, I took a different approach.  I paired off the students, changed the speaking points into an interview script.  One student interviewed the other, then they'd switch.
The interviews worked like a charm.

  Great end of the year activity for ELL's.  Even the reluctant speakers were willing to be interviewed.  WooHoo! We showed the videos the last 2 days of school.  Super fun.


GOOD BYE, MS. MARION


Awesome teacher. Beth Marion, Math teacher extraordinaire.
40 year veteran.
Happy Retirement.
We will miss you.



This lovely family was taking a walk one evening around our neighborhood. Reminded me of my students and me, walking together through middle school, learning, growing,
leaving footprints.

It's a wonderful and difficult and rewarding and nerve-wracking and fun and not-so-fun journey.
But, in the end, I wouldn't have it any other way.
I am a teacher.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks again for the visit. :)