Tuesday, January 19, 2016

January's Show & Tell

Photobucket
for the very first Show & Tell Linky Party.
This is a monthly Linky Party where we "show" up to four things from school, or home, or any other thing and we tell about it.

A few years ago I changed from using a file cabinet to organizing with binders.  I'll never go back.  My file cabinets now store supplies, headphones, microphones, and old files that I keep around for memory's sake.




 Right before winter break our school hosted Career Day.  Our kids dressed up for the occasion.
Finding Foreheads is a super, simple activity we use to "set" new vocabulary words.  We've already introduced new words, taken notes, looked for words in context. The next step is to try to set all of that learning in the student's permanent, personal word banks.  It's like "glossing" after you've gone through the hard work of painting a beautiful picture.  You want all of that learning to set in permanently and keep from dulling out.  

The inspiration for this activity came from the smart phone game "Heads Up".  I went to the Dollar Store and found cute headbands, 6 for $1.  I prepared flash cards with just definitions, no words.  I paper clipped the flashcard to the headband and placed the headbands on each student without them looking at their card.
Each student receives a handout with a two column chart.  On one column all the words are written out.  I give them a few minutes to write the definitions they already know.  Then, students go to find the forehead that has the definition of the words they can't remember.  It was fun and after playing the game a few times, the kids did fabulously on their quiz. 
I'd love to see and read all about your "Show and Tell".  Feel free to link up and join the party. Just click here and it will take you right to the fun.  

8 comments:

  1. I love the idea of kids dressing up like the career they are working towards!

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It was a great idea and the kids had a blast~ Thank you for stopping by ~

      Delete
  2. I love the vocabulary activity that you shared! So simple yet so engaging for the kiddos. I definitely can see my 6/7th graders getting into this. They thoroughly enjoy anything that gets them up and moving around. Gonna grab some of those headbands next trip to the Dollar Tree. Thanks for sharing!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lots of fun. Next time I'm going to wear a head band also so that kids will come to me to find an answer, too. I think they'll like that. Thank you for stopping by ~

      Delete
  3. Love the vocabulary game idea! You've got the wheels in my head turning on how I could use that. Thanks for linking up!

    Stephanie
    Forever in Fifth Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more fun than I thought it would be. The class you see in the picture is 8th grade. I was a little afraid they would be too cool to put a head band on their head, but they were ok with it and engaged well! Thanks for stopping by and thank you for the link up opportunity :)

      Delete
  4. Love the binder idea! I am slowly trying to transition, but it's hard. Yours looks so organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try transitioning one binder at a time, each year add one more binder. I find that I keep much less paper in the binder than in the folders, only what I'm really going to use. Thank you so much for stopping by.:)

      Delete

Thanks again for the visit. :)