Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Worksheet Wednesday with The Teaching Tribune


Happy Wednesday!

I'm linking up with The Teaching Tribune again today for Worksheet Wednesday.

Today's worksheet is an award I give my students after finishing a book.

In our Reading class, my students are assigned a reading goal.  We set the reading goal according to the individual student's lexile level.  For example, if a student reads at a beginning level their goal is lower than a student that may read at an intermediate level.  Their goals are reached through our Reading Counts program.  (I've used Accelerated Reader in the past, as well.)  If your school doesn't offer computerized tests for the books, you can create a short 10 generic question report students can answer.  Depending on the size and lexile of the book, points can be awarded.  

Students earn an "I Finished Reading A Book" award for every book they have finished and passed the computerized quiz with a 70% or higher.  I copy the awards in 4 different colors to represent each of the nine weeks.  When the students receive the award they fill in the necessary information:  Title, Author, and Rating.  Then, they place their awards in a wide pocket chart.  Each pocket is assigned to an individual student. The color coded awards help me to quickly see who has taken a quiz and who hasn't.  Each time a student earns 100 points, they receive a special 100 point 
Shout Out award.  

Meeting their reading goal is the final exam for our reading class.  For evey point they reach above their reading goal, they receive bonus points towards their final grade.  

At the end of the year, I make a book out of all of their awards and they go home with an 
Awards Book.  

This is the award I used last year.  I cut the bottom half and the sides so that it fits in the pocket chart.



Click here to download a copy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks again for the visit. :)