Friday, August 15, 2014

Memories

Every summer I have "organize my photo albums" on my Summer Do List.  And, every summer I take out the albums, become overwhelmed, and leave it for next week.  Well, next week has turned into "next summer".  I hope I next summer will be the summer I finally finish this task.

I did find some memorable pictures while looking through the albums.  These are pics of my old classroom at the elementary school where I taught during the 90's.  We had several ESOL teachers, for a few years I was assigned Kindergarten.  I have fond memories of those days.  The kids were great and I worked with amazing colleagues that are still my friends today.






I also found some photographs of my mom.  My siblings and I are planning her 70th birthday party.  You'd never know she's up there, she looks fabulous.

This picture was taken in 2010 at my mom and dad's 
50th wedding anniversary.


 My mom and I also worked at the same school for a few years.  

For as long as I can remember my mom worked as a liason between  ESOL families and the school center.  She worked at a high school for almost 20 years.  Many kids that normally would not have been afforded the opportunity to go to college were able to go because of my mom's persistence and support.  She paid many college applications out of her own pocket when kids would say they didn't have the money to apply.  Even when the counselors would say there was nothing more they could do, my mom would not give up on those kids.  Still today, she's surprised with random phone calls, emails, and letters of gratitude from people she helped during those years.  After moving to the middle school, she continued to assist families by providing language support, sometimes food and anything else they would need.  

Now at 70, she's the principal of 3 Bible institutes, preparing and educating people who desire to become ministers.  It's no wonder both my sister and I have been influenced by that passion and work in education.

Happy Birthday, Mom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks again for the visit. :)