Saturday, September 27, 2014

Add and Delete

The Art of Editing

I teach my middle schoolers to edit their writing by using these three steps:  
~ Read what you have written.
~ Delete what doesn't work or doesn't sound right.
~ Add something better.


As I reflect on the last 6 weeks of school, I realize I need to do a little editing myself. 

I've noticed that it's not only new district and state mandates that make my cup overflow, but I have my own mandates that seem to have similar effects.

Each new year comes with new challenges and requirements.  If I stick my heals in the sand and hesitate to fly in the direction of the new wind,
I end up overwhelmed.

So, as I practice what I preach, my "weekend homework" will be to reflect on what I will need to
add and delete.  

Sounds easy enough, but it's not.  
Some things I need to delete are difficult to let go.  

Delete


One of the things I will need to delete is my paper and pencil reading homework.  In the past my students have been required to read at home for 30 minutes from Monday through Thursday and answer one or two questions about each reading.  I have found that about a third are regular compliers, another third are inconsistent, and the final third can't do the homework due to limited English language skills.  Extra planning time is taken to create the weekly questions, and it takes another chunk of time to grade them.   I'm not even sure the extra work really makes a difference in the long run.  Honestly, I've known for a few years now that I needed to delete this homework, I just didn't know what else I could use to provide accountability for reading.

Add


Our school is transitioning to online reading homework with a program called Reading Plus.  I've also used Achieve 3000 for a few years, which I can also assign as homework.  Both these programs have pictures, audio and additional features to actually assist the students with reading.  And, the best part of all, it grades it for me!  So, with a great big breath,  "paper and pencil homework is out".  Wow!  There, I said it and it's done.  

Wait...

There's a problem.  How about kids without internet access?  Uh! I'm not sure what to do about that.  With only 50 minutes of class time, doing their homework in class is not practical.  I'll take any suggestions.  Those students may just have to keep the old system and answer generic questions about their reading, 5W's & 1 H, 
perhaps . . .  I guess paper & pencil homework is not completely extinct, but it will certainly be different.

Here's to the new age of technology!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks again for the visit. :)