Saturday, November 8, 2014

Unexpected "Wows"



This week went by faster than a speeding freight train.
A lot has happened in a short period of time.
There was plenty to worry about, and much to cry about.
However, in the midst of the storms, a few precious "wow" moments sneaked up on me.  



In fourth place is the announcement that our school district decided to modify, and even cancel, some tests that had been scheduled.  Science and writing diagnostics, along with the middle school nine week exam were among the tests on the list.  It was certainly unexpected, 
but very well received.  



The 10th Annual Language and Culture Conference 
hosted by our school district takes third place.


 Last year was my first time attending. I loved it.
So, I decided to go again this year. The keynote speaker was Dorina Sackman. Wow, was all I could say!


She is the Florida Teacher of the Year for 2014.
I had seen her teach a writing lesson on the
Teaching Channel a while back.  




She encouraged teachers to remember and focus on
"why" we do what we do.
"Be a warrior, not a worrier."
She is a powerhouse of energy and has an extra dose of passion for kids. It was worth going to hear her speak.



In second place I'm thrilled to give a SHOUT OUT to my colleague and friend, Jerianne Johnston. She is the "bestest" art teacher ever!  She has received many awards for her amazing projects.  Her students' creations are displayed in district buildings, offices, and events all over our county.  Likewise, her students have earned many awards for the many contests she involves them in.  Mrs. Johnston takes pictures of her artwork and displays them on her Artsonia page.  Click here to see a few of her students' masterpieces.  And, if that was not enough, in her "spare time", Jerianne is also re-writing the district's middle school art curriculum so that it alligns with the new state standards.  She is amazing!


Mrs. Johnston and her students put together an Encouragement Board for a dear faculty member who is battling breast cancer.  Our colleague is reminded each time she walks by this board, that she is cared for and supported by all of us.

(This board is even more beautiful in person.)


While I was taking the picture of the Encouragement board, I decided to take some pictures of some other fabulous boards we have around Building 1.






And, in first place . . .
While sitting at my school's faculty meeting this week, enjoying the company of my co-workers and our little, in-between conversations, my name was suddenly called!
I was asked to come forward to receive a 
performance award!
It was totally unexpected and so awesomely and gratefully received!  I almost couldn't hear what was being said because I was so overwhelmed.  This lovely act of kindness certainly filled my cup this week.



Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks again for the visit. :)