Saturday, August 22, 2015

This Week's Reflections: Week 1



My First Week ~ School Year 2016

Imagine starting middle school in a country where you don't understand, read or write the language.  You have six to seven classes a day, and every class gets increasingly confusing as each minute passes.  Your mind is hungry to hear someone, anyone that speaks your language.  Finally, you find someone that understands you, that sounds like you.  So, you grab onto him or her as if your very survival is dependent on their every word.  

Every year I specifically pray for strength the first week of school. It has been predictable since my very first week and my first ESOL class.  Fear, frustration, and hope all mixed into one experience, 
the first week of school in a new country.  

My heart breaks; 
my mind gets tired;
my voice disappears. 
And, regardless of how carefully I choose my shoes, 
by the end of the week, my legs refuse to move.

By January, my kids will own the school.  
By January, they will have been immersed in our academic customs and they will thrive.  
By June, they'll already want to know, 
"How long do I have to stay in ESOL?"
And, in two years, they won't even have time to visit my hallway.  

However, before we get there, we must resolve 
to work through the struggle.  

Your struggle may not be the same, but you certainly have one.  Whatever it may be, remember, 
we did it before, we'll do it again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks again for the visit. :)