Saturday, October 25, 2014

This Week's Wows


Here's to the last two weeks!

In the #4 slot . . .

I had a lovely time with a few of my colleagues hanging out at our school's Barnes & Noble Night.  (I should have taken a pic . . .)  I also bought two books.  One was recommended by one of the blogs I clicked on when I participated in the October Currently, As the Classroom Turns.  I also saw it again on a Pinterest pin by Miss Radka's Rhapsody. After reading about "Wonder" by R.J.Palacio in both blogs, I decided to buy the 365 Days of Wonder by R.J.Palacio.  I plan to use some of his precepts as journal reflections.  I also bought Shel Silverstein's "Falling Up".  


I also plan to use some of his poetry as journal reflections this year, as well.  Our first enjoyment was the little poem, "Safe?".  We discussed the vocabulary, the play on words, multiple and deeper meanings.  Even a poem as simple as "Safe?" can be "rigorous" for an ELL.  I've got my work cut out for me this year.  

In the 3rd slot . . .

This past Monday was a Teacher Work Day.
I wish I had a T.W.D. every week.  

In the 2nd slot . . .

My students took their second reading inventory. I had several students raise their lexiles by over 100 points in just nine weeks! Woah! I think it may be due to the Reading Plus program.  The students who have been using it regularly, more than I require, were the ones who noticed more gains.  

And, my #1 "Wow" . . .

My #1 wow for this week was really from last weekend. I spent a lovely time at a Women's Retreat with my mom and sister. The weather was great, so was the company, and the camp was peaceful and pleasant.
Just what the doctor ordered. . .




As the days fly by, literally, I am compelled to look for beauty and blessings, even in the midst of craziness.  If there's one thing I am sure of, now more than ever, is that life goes by way too quickly.  May we find something to celebrate each and every day and take advantage of the opportunities to enjoy the journey.  

I pray you all have a lovely, safe, and memorable weekend.

God Bless, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks again for the visit. :)