Tuesday, February 16, 2016

February's Show & Tell

Photobucket
for February's 
Double Composition 

I've custom designed composition books before, but this one is different because it is two books in one.  I got the idea from my ELL's that come from the country of Cuba.  They told me their teachers attach their composition books together so that they can have all of their work in one place.  So, this is what I did.  I'm sure there might be a more scientific and better way, but this was my first attempt.

These are the supplies I used. 
(Packing tape was also used, but it's not in the picture.)
I leveled the books side by side and used a clothes pin to keep them together.
I then stapled the back cover of the first book and the front cover of the second book with a long stapler.
Then, I cut most of the unstapled part off.  
I used packing tape to cover the staples and keep the openings closed.
This is what it looks like with the two books attached.  One student told me that some teachers take out the paper from one book and attach it to the other book with just one spine.  I'll have to try that next time.  
I covered the two spines with bright green tape.
I used clear packing tape to attached a pocket to the back cover with the scraps I had left over when I attached the two books.  I used a big sticker to cover the bar code.
Using clear packing tape again, I attached a ribbon to the middle of the front and back cover.  This will help keep the book closed when it's not in use. I also attached another sticker to hide the seam.
With clear packing tape I also attached a pen holder to the side.  (One came out a little short.  To keep that from happening I should have attached it from the front to the back. I'll do a better job with the next one.) I got the idea from Pinterest.  Click here to see the pin.  
I'm going to give the composition book away as a gift to one lucky student.  
I love preparing a little corner in my room that feels like home and reminds me of the people I love all during the day. Each year my space changes a little.


6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post! Thanks for sharing such a great idea! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great step by step directions! I never would have thought of attaching two composition books together like that. Thanks for linking up!

    Stephanie
    Forever in Fifth Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photo area, mine are so outdated - you just reminded me that I need to get more recent photos in those frames. My current students think my 11 year old is still a toddler LOL!

    Melissa
    Wild About Fifth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I try to update them every summer :) Thank you for stopping by ~

      Delete

Thanks again for the visit. :)